Trends in Line With the Needs of New-Generation Electronic Devices
As the complexity and functionality of electronic devices grows exponentially, test and measurement manufacturers and design houses are adopting use of multicore and parallel test systems to test more with less – according to a report published in Electronics For You magazine, a flagship publication of EFY Group.
There has been increasing integration of internet connectivity, wireless communications, high-fidelity audio and HD video in consumer electronics devices. Key trends to tackle testing needs of such devices include FPGA-enabled instrumentation, wireless standards outbreak, increased use of wireless devices at the workplace, software-defined instrumentation, use of multicore and parallel test systems, and merging of EDA tools and hardware test platforms.
Key findings of the report include:
– Using FPGA in instruments offers high reliability, low latency, reconfigurability, high performance, embedded digital signal processor core and true parallelism.
– As RF and wireless applications become general-purpose, the instrumentation segment might also begin to mirror this trend with the adoption of RF instrumentation to such a level that it becomes as important as our digital multimeters.
– Tablet computers and smartphones are now part of the test system. These are suitable for data consumption and report viewing, and system monitoring and control.
– Most standalone instruments cannot change their functionality as fast as changes in the device under test. Thus test engineers are turning to a software-defined approach to instrumentation, so that they can quickly customise their equipment to meet specific application needs.
– The inherent parallelism that is made available by the graphical programming paradigm of software like LabVIEW from National Instruments and FlowStone DSP from DSP Robotics helps engineers immediately benefit from multicore processors.
– Merging testing in the design stage accelerates the ‘time to market’. A proper verification at earlier stages reduces time and cost to a great extent.
The full report, titled ‘Top 6 Trends in Test & Measurement’, is available in the July 2012 issue of Electronics For You magazine, which will hit the news-stands in the first week of July.
About Electronics For You
The EFY Group’s first magazine – Electronics For You – was launched in January 1969, when the Indian electronics industry was still at a nascent stage. Today, it has grown into South Asia’s most popular electronics magazine with a readership exceeding half-a-million readers. In fact, the name ‘EFY’ Group has been coined from the abbreviation of this magazine’s title.
With its long-term service to electronics industry on subjects like test & measurement, embedded, innovations and survey/industry reports, the magazine aims to keep electronics and design professionals, budding engineers and hobbyists stay abreast with latest and upcoming technology trends. Through its informative articles, circuit ideas, construction projects and surveys, the magazine caters to various segment of the electronics industry. For more information, visit www.efymag.com
Primary Media Contact: Atul Goel, [email protected], 91-11-26810601
Secondary Media Contact: Uma Gupta, [email protected], 91-11-26840602
SOURCE EFY Enterprises Pvt Ltd